The Brazosport Art League provides multiple and varied programs for children.
School classes may schedule tours of the Gallery. Artist comment on art, its creation and forms. The students may make pencil sketches of the examples from the current show with supplies provided by the League. Contact the Center for scheduling.
Summer Art Camp!
Thank you to all students who participated in the 2018 Summer Art Camp with Brazosport Art League! Check this page next spring for information on the 2019 Summer at The Center Art Camp information.
Kids’ Studio Time
Brazosport Art League offers a free art class each month for younger (8-12 years) children*. It is designed to give the student and their guardian experiences with
- a variety of art mediums
- art styles and techniques
- art history and art in some cultures
- one-on-one time with a guardian, working on a project
It is not…..
- intended to be art lessons in the conventional sense. We will not be specifically teaching drawing shapes, animals, etc. through repetition. However, there will be simple examples shown that a child can follow to use in class and practice thereafter.
- child care or babysitting. With this age group, and only 1-2 instructors, we expect an adult family member or guardian to stay with the student, understand technical instructions, and be prepared to lead the child independently. However, the art produced is meant to be the child’s work.
* Elementary teachers have advised that by 8 years of age most kids will pay attention and follow directions. If your child is well-behaved and curious, then we would consider making an exception.
Free event. To register please visit Brazosportcenter.org and click ‘Tickets & Events”.
9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
OCT 26Sponge painting landscapes (tempera – autumn leaves) &/or block printing
Cave art on brown paper (tempera and pastel)
Painted Pet rocks (acrylic)
Teen Studio Time
At Brazosport Art League, one of our goals is to “support Fine Art education for the Brazosport area.” To that end, Brazosport Art League would like help raise up the next generation of artists, by encouraging our teen artists so we’re opening up the studio on Wednesday afternoons 3:30-6:00 p.m. for youth ages 12-18, in a program we call Teen Studio Time.
The course of study will be on the Principles of Art, using a hands-on approach. The goal is to learn the Principles of Art by replicating great art works in their various mediums, working in large group project. The teens will then use what they learned to do their own original work in an individual project in the medium they choose. Teens can expect to work in fresco, mosaic, stained glass, pastels and paint, pen and ink, clay. Teens will work with a rotation of BAL artists that have experience in each medium. Teens will prepare and hang the show. The fee is $60 per semester which includes all supplies. This curriculum should satisfy home-school art credit.