Visual Art - Kids' Activities
Education is at the heart of Brazosport Art League. Exhibits are chosen and curated with the goal of growing an appreciation of art and local artists. Workshops and classes are designed to appeal to the beginner and experienced artist, from all age ranges.
Children’s Art Workshops & Classes
Kids’ Studio Time
Brazosport Art League offers a free art class each month for younger (8-12 years) children*. It is designed to give the student and their guardian experiences with
- a variety of art mediums
- art styles and techniques
- art history and art in some cultures
- one-on-one time with a guardian, working on a project
It is not…..
- intended to be art lessons in the conventional sense. We will not be specifically teaching drawing shapes, animals, etc. through repetition. However, there will be simple examples shown that a child can follow to use in class and practice thereafter.
- child-care or babysitting. With this age group, and only 1-2 instructors, we expect an adult family member or guardian to stay with the student, understand technical instructions, and be prepared to lead the child independently. However, the art produced is meant to be the child’s work.
* Elementary teachers have advised that by 8 years of age most kids will pay attention and follow directions. If your child is well-behaved and curious, then we would consider making an exception.
OCT 26 • 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Sponge painting landscapes (tempera – autumn leaves) &/or block printing
NOV 23 • 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Cave art on brown paper (tempera and pastel)
DEC 28 • 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Painted Pet rocks (acrylic)
Teen Studio Time
At Brazosport Art League, one of our goals is to “support Fine Art education for the Brazosport area.” To that end, Brazosport Art League would like help raise up the next generation of artists, by encouraging our teen artists so we’re opening up the studio on Wednesday afternoons 3:30-6:00 p.m. for youth ages 12-18, in a program we call Teen Studio Time.
The course of study will be on the Principles of Art, using a hands-on approach. The goal is to learn the Principles of Art by replicating great art works in their various mediums, working in large group project. The teens will then use what they learned to do their own original work in an individual project in the medium they choose. Teens can expect to work in fresco, mosaic, stained glass, pastels and paint, pen and ink, clay. Teens will work with a rotation of BAL artists that have experience in each medium. Teens will prepare and hang the show. The fee is $60 per semester which includes all supplies. This curriculum should satisfy home-school art credit.
Wednesdays 3:30 PM – 6:00 PM
For students 12 – 18 years old
Summer Art Camp
Every summer, Brazosport Art League offers four sessions, morning and afternoon, of Summer Art Camp. The camps are separated by age ranges. Check our calendar for dates and times.
Brazosport Art League members may register their children early.
Summer Art Camp is part of Summer at The Center and generously underwritten by The Facts.